Monday, June 22, 2009

What Was My First Concert?

June marks the 30th anniversary observance of Black Music Month, and I haven't had much discussion about it thanks to various higher profile breaking news stories.

I planned at the beginning of the month to talk about some of my fave groups, concerts I've attended and and why the American music scene owes a major creative debt to its African descended people.

So I'm going to make up for lost time and dedicate some posts until the end of the month to doing just that.

Y'all know my teen years were spent in the 70's. Thanks to Dad I got to attend a long list of great concerts and see some slammin' groups and artists back in the day.

My first concert experience happened during the summer of 1976. The Summit (later Compaq Center) had only been open a year and was several decades from becoming Lakewood Church's new sanctuary.

The group that my dad was taking me and my brother to see? WAR

The best part about this show was I got to see it from the comfort of the sky boxes with the staff of the radio station.

I got my grub on, had a bottomless soda cup and had the option of either watching the concert from nice comfortable seats or watch the closed circuit TV feed of the show.



The first one I attended without the parental units tagging along was one headlined by Bootsy's Rubber Band in 1976. I had floor seats 20 rows from the stage for this one. I also saw Bootsy in 1978 during his Player Of The Year Tour.



When I showed up for school that Monday wearing my Bootsy concert t-shirt, I opened my big mouth and accidentally let it slip I had a extra ticket that ended up going to waste.

Half the girls at JJ (and some of my homies as well) were pissed at me for a week.

In my defense, I did get those tickets last minute, and several peeps I called weren't home. Most of the time I didn't get those comp tickets until several hours before the show or I'd come home and the tickets were lying on my bed.



It seemed like during that era in the 70's and 80's, every time I turned around there were great shows to attend. Don't even get me started on the Budweiser Superfests and Kool Jazz Festivals stadium tours devoid of jazz artists, but full of great R&B ones.

But it's the first ones you attend that are the most memorable.

Unless something crazy happens.

1 comment:

Polar said...

War was tight. I missed them when they came here in their heyday, but I heard afterwards about how tight they were, and the unbelievable harmonica solos of Lee Oskar.

Nothing like your first concert, and there will never be a better time for music than the 1970s. It was a buffet of great music.