Monday, July 12, 2010

I Feel Ya, Chaz

“I wasted years worried about what other people would think if I transitioned, and now I wish I had those years back.” Chaz Bono

That was a comment recently posted by Chaz Bono about his transition. It resonates for me and many transpeople who finally get fed up with their situations and pull the trigger on becoming the people we need to be.

I unhappily muddled through most of the 80's feeling the same way because I was worried about what other people would think if I transitioned instead of doing what was best for me, my life and ultimately my happiness.

Do I wish I had those years back? You damned right I do.

But unless somebody invents a time machine capable of transporting me back to the 80's, that ain't happening.

I've had that conversation with various people and on this blog over the years. While I realize that the time I spent muddling around the 80's made me the Moni of the 90's, 2k's and the dawn of the 2k10's, I still wonder what it would have been like and how my life would have turned out if I'd transitioned during my freshman year in college.

But I have to deal with Moni's life here and now, not spend precious energy and brain power musing about what might have been early transition scenarios.

But I feel ya, Chaz

No comments: