Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Eagerly Awaiting The GLAAD National POC Media Institute

In a little over 48 hours I'll be in the Big Apple eagerly awaiting the first session of the 2012 Edition of the GLAAD National POC Media Institute.   The LA edition of it will occur September 7-9..

You TransGriot readers are probably wondering with my demonstrated writing, radio interview and speaking skills why I would be taking part in this event. 

One of the reasons is that we need more trans POC spokespeople with media training speaking about the issues that impact our community for starters.  

It's something I've complained about for years and by attending this institute, to paraphrase the words of my shero the late Barbara Jordan, who was an award winning debater and speaker herself, I'm doing more than just talk about it.  I want to be in a better position to act as a spokesperson for the trans community.

They also cover television interviews as well.  I haven't done as many of those as I have the radio and print variety and definitely could use the practice.  If I make mistakes in a TV interview I'd rather do so in a learning environment rather than in a moment critical to our community's media advocacy strategy

And frankly, I'm attending the GLAAD National POC Media Institute because I want to get better at what I do media communications wise and this is a wonderful opportunity I've been blessed with.

See y'all this weekend.


No comments: