Friday, August 31, 2012

Shannon Eastin, First Female NFL Referee

While ignoring the last night of the Republican National Convention Klan Meeting discovered the Texans were playing their last preseason game against the Minnesota Vikings which they won 28-24.

It was also (arrgh!) preempted in the fourth quarter by Mittbot's speech.

Since the NFL officials have been locked out by the league, the preseason has been played with replacement refs on the field for these games and it looks like the lockout will last through the first week of the season. 

This lockout has also resulted in some sporting history being made. 

One of the people who has gotten a chance to.officiate during these games is 42 year old line judge Shannon Eastin.   On August 9 she became the first woman to work an NFL game of any kind in the league’s 97-year history when she served as a line judge during the San Diego Chargers-Green Bay Packers preseason opener in San Diego, CA. 

Eastin said when the NFL selected her, “Knowing that I’m a female in a man’s world, I’ve always put the most pressure on myself. Pretty much everything I do is going to be magnified. I know what I signed up for. I have to be bigger, stronger, know that I understand the rules. I have to do things even better than the men that are working. And I’m OK with that.”

The 5-5 Eastin was part of the officiating crew in the Texans-Vikings game last night and has 16 years of officiating experience, including four in the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, made up of HBCU schools..

With the lockout extending to the first week of the season, Eastin has the possibility of making more history becoming the first woman to officiate in an NFL regular season game.  

And once the officiating lockout is settled, hope she gets the chance to stick around and become an NFL offical on a permanent basis.

No comments: