Wednesday, August 07, 2013

TransGriot Ten Questions Interview-Koko Jones Xtravaganza

Past time for another one of my TransGriot Ten Questions interviews.

One of the benefits of me founding the Transsistahs-Transbrothas group back in 2004 was not only establishing a place in which transpeople of color could chat about the issues of transitioning while a person of color, it also jump started working partnerships and friendships that have lasted to this present day. 

One of the fascinating people I met at that time was Koko Jones Xtravaganza, who is a multitalented New York metro area based girl like us musician, composer, parent, instructor and trans advocate who is currently writing a book about her very interesting life

So now it's time for Koko to answer the TransGriot's Ten Questions.

1-You're a Jersey girl, and as I alluded to in the intro you are a musician.  So what is it about that part of the country that produces so many chart topping musicians?

KJX-I don’t know if we produce more chart topping musicians but the music scene has changed drastically since I was coming up. I’m from New Jersey, just outside of New York, New York on a whole from the days of Jazz was and still is like a Mecca just as Chicago, Philly and other cities around the country. New York audiences are probably some of the toughest audiences to perform in front of. If you don’t come correct don’t come at all. That goes for any type of performance so the standard here is very high.

From the early days of jazz when Duke Ellington, Charlie Parker and Thelonious Monk were around, the highest of standards were expected of the players. I was fortunate to be a part of two different scenes here; the New York jazz scene and the R&B/Funk/Soul scene out here in Jersey.

I grew up in the small enclave of Englewood, NJ which boasted groups like The Isley Brothers, The Moments (Ray, Goodman and Brown), Regina Belle, Bernard Belle, Guy, Ed Townsend, Sylvia Robinson, The Sugar Hill Gang and David Townsend of Surface; Jazz artists Tyree Glenn and Roger Glenn, and transplanted artists such as The Five Stairsteps, Wilson Pickett, Dizzy Gillespie, Sam Rivers, Hilton Ruiz and so many others. Besides that, Sugar Hill Records and The Isley's T-Neck Records were both operated out of Englewood and the Teaneck area. Most of my fellow musicians of my generation became professionals working with top names in the industry. Other Jersey bands include Kool and the Gang (Jersey City), Parliament/Funkadelic (Plainfield, NJ) and a host of others. So yes the pressure was on from an early age. You had to perform or get off the stage!

By the way, Texas and Oklahoma boasts some talent as well!!!!


2- I'm a huge R&B fan in large part to my late father being in radio.  I noted as a musician you got to tour with some major artists. Who are some of those artists you toured with and what is that experience like?

KJX-Well, I first went on tour at the age of 13 backing an all boy band called “Spoonbread”. They did a remake of the Bee-Gees song, “How Can You Mend a Broken Heart”. It was a big hit in 1972. We toured and opened for acts like the Chi-Lites, Harold Melvin and Blue Notes, The Four Tops, Eddie Kendricks and The Isley Brothers. I didn’t tour again until I was 19 when I joined Archie Shepp’s band and went to Europe. Just a couple of months later I was asked to join the Isley Brothers and toured with them for the next 6 years.

Almost immediately after the Isley’s tour ended I was called to join Whitney Houston for her European tour in 1986 and stayed with her until the early 90’s. I rejoined the Isley Brothers as well as Angela Winbush in 1990 but it was nothing like those years between 1980 and 1986. This was mainly due to my increasing distress and awareness of my trans status. I’ve toured with many other Jazz artists since then. Including my recent work and touring with Urban/Folk/Soul-Jazz artist KJ Denhert (www.kjdenhert.com)

The years with both The Isley’s and Whitney were fast paced and it seemed as if it would never end but mainly I enjoyed my time with them. The Isley Brothers were like family to me, especially the younger brothers Marvin and Ernie and brother-in-law Chris Jasper. Those times included not only touring but recording as well. I recorded 8 separate projects with the Isleys; something that no other percussionist can say.

The years with Whitney were magical! She had a voice that was so unbelievable that the first gig I did I spent shaking my head in awe; it was almost a surreal experience. But her heart was golden. It sickened me to hear all of the stories in the media of her being a scornful diva. That picture that was painted was so wrong, she was such a sweetheart. She brought me to places I never would have been and met people I never would have met if I hadn’t had that gig. I am truly indebted to her and her family for that opportunity. I remember when I was going through my transition and having a difficult time she pulled me aside, held me in her arms as I was in tears and told me, “If you ever need to talk my door is always open. You know I love you, we love you and God loves you.” I will never ever forget that.


3-When did you transition and why? 

KJX-Let me say that my transition was a life saving measure. I felt I had done all the running away from my gender identity that I could do. It came to point where I looked in the mirror and had to be truthful with myself. When I transitioned is a hard question. I took my first hormone shot in 1987 and began electrolysis.

However, I was in between tours with Whitney at the time. I will never forget the look on the faces of band members and crew when I showed up for the rehearsals with long relaxed hair, eyebrows done and no facial hair. However, my transition stalled because of the touring which made it impossible to keep up with when you’re moving from city to city, night after night. Also, when you’re in a band on tour it’s almost like being on a sports team. You dress together, you eat together and you travel together. You are with each other everyday all day! I began living full time around 1990-1991.

The one thing I didn’t mention in all of this history is that I have a daughter. In 1999 my daughter called me to ask to come live with me. So I decided to petition the court and ask for full custody of my child. The court rejected the petition citing that it would be psychologically damaging to her to come live with me. The only way I could gain custody would be if I would present myself as a male. In weighing my options at that time I decided to transition back to presenting in my male persona.

Certainly I didn’t believe I was damaging my daughter’s psychological well being but the time involved with appealing that decision would be too costly. I would never get that precious time back with my daughter that I might lose in waiting to appeal the case. It wasn’t until my daughter left to live on her own that I could reasonably think of living the life that I needed to live. That happened in 2008.

So the short answer is I lived 9 years previously and then for the last 4 years.


4- We met because of the Transsistahs-Transbrothers Yahoo discussion group.  How important are the online groups, especially to transpeople of color? 

KJX-I must say that Transsistahs-Transbrothas was the first online group that I was ever in. It served as an oasis for me during those times before my second transition. It was incredibly important to hear stories from other trans folk of color. My culture and heritage is something that is very important to me. I live for my people.

The friendships I bore there have supported me through my darkest hours. I felt so understood there. I think that we as black folks in America have such a disparate narrative due to the way we process our history and our view of the world around us. What we know happened and what is still happening now. I am not saying that our Anglo trans brothers and sisters don’t have difficulties; just that our view is different due to institutionalized and internalized racism. (I won’t go into current events in this interview).


5- Did you have any trans role models at the time you transitioned?

KJX-Well my role model at that time was my “Gay Mother”, Jovanna Lopez. We shared an apartment back in 1988 through 1990. She taught me a lot about the life that I had never known. Back in 1988 the only folks I knew were her and the many friends I was introduced to back then. Those girls included Angie Xtravaganza, Tiny Showbiz, Carmen Xtravaganza (she was introduced to as Carmen from Spain), and many, many more.

Eventually, when I transitioned I was able to go to “the Center” (Gay & Lesbian Community Center) in Manhattan when the Gender Identity Project was just being formed for social support. Rosalyne Blumenstein was also one of my role models. In my most recent transition Carmen and I became very close and I started living with her in 2009. I was basically put out of the house where I was renting due to my transition. We supported each other and have since been each others support. I can say now that we truly are family.



6- How did you become a member of the House of Xtravaganza and how much has the ballroom scene changed from the time you first encountered it? 

KJX-I first encountered members of this House when I was living with Jovanna. When we had our apartment, Mother Angie Xtravaganza would come with some of the girls in tow and stay for the weekend but I never had any interest in joining the House.

More recently when I began living with Carmen who is the current Mother, I was made an Xtravaganza. For me it’s more of honorary title for my years of struggle and what I bring to the table as a trans woman and advocate. The role of the houses is changing. The ballroom scene is much different now than it was back in the 80’s and early 90’s. Yes there are still balls and the “kids” still carry on.

There have been a lot of changes in the balls themselves with the categories and costumes. It has become very bizarre at times and some balls are more of dance competition than anything else. The disturbing trend unfortunately has been this category of sex siren. It’s a very healthy category for the boys but for the girls it’s sometimes judged on the amount of silicone one has placed in their body; a practice that can be somewhat dangerous to say the least. But I haven’t been big on the ballroom scene myself lately so I could be wrong.

My focus has been more on trans advocacy and the work I’m doing at CHEST/Hunter College with the new research study I’m involved with.


7- You recently had the opportunity to participate at the 2013 Philly Trans Health Conference.  What was that experience like?

KJX-I attended the Philadelphia Trans Health Conference officially as a presenter with CHEST (The Center for HIV/AIDS Education, Studies and Training at Hunter College). We presented our new research study and intervention for trans women called T-Talk. We did an 80 minute presentation that was pretty well attended for an 8:45 am slot. There was a lot that needed to be said and the most vocal in the audience were Transwomen of color.

The conference was such a positive experience for me. I was able to meet lots of people in the community and best of all got to meet with a lot of people I had established a long time online relationships with; namely Dionne Stallworth, Fredrikka Joy Maxwell and our Transsistahs-Transbrothas community.

It occurred to me while reflecting about the conference that many of us need a voice. We need to speak what’s on our mind. I think there needs to be a comprehensive conference for trans women of color. We have so much to say and we need a forum to be able to do that and not just online. Maybe a conference can be developed where we can meet others just like us from around the country and around the world exclusively to talk about these issues. I hope I’m not being too separatist?


8-What are some of the projects you're currently involved with? 

KJX-I am in the midst of writing a book of my memoirs. I’m calling it “A Very Different Drummer – Journal of a Triumphant Life”. Writing is tricky; what to disclose and what NOT to disclose about my private life. I finished 2 separate recordings last year under my own name. It’s called “Who’s That Lady”. It’s also a document of my life as well. It tells my story of triumph and struggle. I wrote most of the songs along with band members and have of course a cover of an Isley Brothers song and a song by Whitney Houston.

The other album I have completed is also my own. It’s folkloric in nature featuring blazing percussion and vocals only. It’s called “Native Soil” and produced by Babatunde Lea for Motema Music

I’m also creating a multi-media presentation along with my sister Carmen Xtravaganza called, “Stories from the Edge”. It’s the story of two trans women of color who have similar but disparate paths to live the life they have always dreamt of living.

Also, as I mentioned before I’m currently working at CHEST (The Center for HIV/AIDS Education, Studies and Training at Hunter College), doing a research study and intervention called T-Talk. It’s not direct services but a study designed to address the acute health needs of trans women that live in the NYC metro area.


9-Let's flip the question script for a moment. What's the one question you're dying to ask the TransGriot?

KJX-Okay….. What prompted you to start the Transsistahs-Transbrothas group and why do you think it was so successful?

10-Where do you see the Black trans community in the next ten years?

KJX- I think that there are many challenges ahead of us as a community. There needs to be more acceptance and understanding in the Black community of trans folk. I think that a dialogue needs to be opened up between leaders and members in the overall African American community. For us our community is everything. This is where I see the need for inclusion. Will our voices be heard? Are our black leaders culturally competent when it comes to the issues of black trans folk? This will determine where we go from here.

But I am an eternal optimist. I believe in ten years we will have taken a step in the direction of understanding, empathy and inclusion. Of course the entire country needs to have an ongoing discussion about race in America. Our society is still feeling the brunt of slavery. Jim Crow has ended but is still going on underneath the surface in the hearts and minds of many.

***

Koko, thanks for your time and for doing this TransGriot Ten Questions interview!   

No comments: