Sunday, June 22, 2014

Ivy Taylor's TBLG Rights NO Vote Coming Back To Haunt Her

Ivy R. Taylor and City SealYou'll remember during that contentious summer last year that San Antonio successfully passed their non-discrimination ordinance, I wrote an open letter to Councilmember Ivy Taylor imploring her to be on the right side of history and vote for the ordinance. 

Unfortunately she was one of the three members of the San Antonio City Council that voted against it.   It was disappointing and personally offensive to me because she is the only African-American member of the council.

Now in the wake of Mayor Julian Castro's May 22 appointment by President Obama to become HUD secretary, the political maneuvering has begun in the Alamo City to appoint an interim mayor to fill out his remaining unexpired term.

San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro, right, talks with councilman Diego Bernal, sponsor of a proposed non-discrimination ordinance, Thursday, Sept. 5, 2013, in San Antonio. The San Antonio city council passed the ordinance which will in part prohibit discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity. (AP Photo/Eric Gay)
Taylor has emerged as one of the front runners to replace Castro, which has alarmed San Antonio activists.

“I don’t think she’s representative of this entire city. She doesn’t support equality for LGBT people, and it’s very bothersome,” activist Daniel Graney said in a San Antonio Express-News interview. “I don’t think she should spend one day in the mayor’s office because of it.”

In response to the concerns of the San Antonio TBLG community, Taylor has pledged that if she's appointed mayor she wouldn't move to undo the ordinance that passed 8-3.  But that pledge has zero credibility in the community and with our allies because of a long list of problematic anti-LGBT statements going back to 2011  

During her 2011 city council campaign, Taylor stated that if she received the endorsement of the Stonewall Democrats, she wouldn't advertise it because it would be 'too divisive'.  She made a subsequent statement that she wouldn't appear in the city's pride parade. 

Despite admitting the hateful comments of the faith-based opponents of San Antonio's ordinance made her cringe, Taylor still voted against the law based on the specious argument that the law would be used to stifle religious freedom.

“I really wanted to be able to vote yes on this ordinance because I wanted to be able to affirm that all citizens deserve protection under the law, which I do believe,” Taylor said at the time of the September 5 vote. “I know that people will say that I’m an ignorant bigot, or that I gave in to fear and prejudice, but I know my heart. I am not a coward. I am not a bigot. And I am not ignorant.”

Councilmember Taylor, you are a coward who gave in to fear and prejudice, and your NO vote is irrefutable evidence of that.  You let 'fear and smear' tactics deter you from being a drum majorette for justice. 

Now you will have to reap the karmic consequences of that decision    Your NO vote on a human rights ordinance last September may derail your chances of making history and becoming San Antonio's first African-American mayor.  

And frankly, I'm not only giddy about karmic justice asserting itself so swiftly, I won't be shedding any tears for you if that's the case.

No comments: